Friday, November 11, 2011

I Shaved My Legs Tonight - May 23, 1993

Day: Sunday  Date: 5/23/93
We launched rockets on Friday. It was fun. My Tornado was the first successful Tornado launch that day. ****, [a boy], [girl 1], and [girl 2] all skipped school. They got caught though. They stayed at [girl 2]'s creek behind her house and her mom saw them. I bet they'll get in alot of trouble. Tomorrow is the track meet. I hope it don't get canceled cauce if it does we won't have it re scheduled. Guess what I shaved my legs tonight. It felt so good to get all that hair off!! Oh yeah I got a new watch. That's pretty much all I have to say.
BYE!
Audra S
age 11
I ♥ ****

Launching rockets was fun. We launched rockets when I was in 4th grade, too. It was a joint effort with the 6th grade. The launch made the paper that year. My brother is in this picture. He's next to the kid pointing to the sky. Most of the girls in the front row were in my grade. In fact, one of those girls is girl 2! OMG!


1991

In retrospect, it's a good thing that I didn't get too involved with ****. I was better off obsessing from afar. I liked school. Why would I want to skip it?

I remember the drama surrounding the first time I shaved my legs. I had to beg and plead and cry for my mom to give in. She told me once I started, I couldn't stop, and that I would be annoyed by it. Boy, was she right. But in the end, my argument about being more aerodynamic for the track meet prevailed over a mother's wisdom. I was very self conscious about the amount of hair on my arms and legs. Still am, though to a lesser degree. I could not WAIT to shave my legs. My mom forbade me to shave my arms. (Thank you for that.) She bought me a Gillette Sensor Excel razor for women--the kind with the big grip--so my inexperienced hands could guide the razor without cutting myself too badly. Guess who saved her first razor blade cartridge? Clearly it was a significant milestone in my short life.


Front and back.

2 comments:

  1. How many things have you saved? Your snoopy diary, all your glasses, and now your first razor?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have three boxes of of "memories" I've deemed worthy of hanging on to. Some choice pieces include my upper braces, a foosball guy I took from the Boys and Girls Club the last time I went there, and a small plastic cowboy hat signed by all the girls on the Chrisman cross country team. The boxes aren't organized at all and that's by design. It's way more fun to forget about stuff and rediscover it when you least expect it. :)

    ReplyDelete