Saturday, September 10, 2011

Today I Was Supposed To Get My Glasses - December 14, 1991

Day: Sat.   Date: 12-14-91

Today I was supposed to get my glasses, but they weren't there yet. I pitched a fit. We went to grandma's house. Picked up Derek, then we went to pick up D.J. All of us went to Independence Center. After that, we dropped D.J. off. We went back to grandma's house. Derek recorded Charles a tape. It was M.C. Hammer too legit to quit! We went home. Charles, Mom, and I, watched some T.V. The shows were ones that my mom new. Before we watched T.V. we got a package from my dad. It was our Christmas presents.


Audra S
age 10
5th grade

First of all, I'm proud of little Audra for including so many "interesting" details in one diary entry. This is a significant improvement from yesterday's pathetic waste of a page in the Snoopy diary.

I wonder if I actually pitched that fit in the eyeglass place or if I held off until my mom would be spared the public humiliation. Something tells me my mom wasn't that lucky. I remember having to wear a pair of glasses that were not what I ordered while I waited a week or two to receive these bad boys:
Audra's first pair of glasses
These are from the Crayola Kids collection. They are labeled "Nicky Tortoise" which I assume is referring to the frame style and color. You think they look kind of big on me now? Imagine them on my little kid face. My mom was (and still is) a big fan of big frames. She says big frames let you see better. I don't buy into her theory. For your information, I still have every pair of glasses I've ever owned. When somebody creates a museum dedicated to me, there will be a "Hall of Glasses." Visitors will be able to observe and reflect on the evolution of my eye wear.

"Shows my mom new" means Nick-at-Nite. Patty Duke. Donna Reed. My Three Sons. You know, stuff in black and white with catchy theme songs.

I don't know what our dad sent us for Christmas that year. Sadly, the next diary entry is in February. Safe money is on pastel-colored socks and a turtle neck sweater for Audra. Probably something incredibly cool for Charles.

M.C. Hammer too legit to quit!


But this was my favorite song on the album:

5 comments:

  1. I kept staring at that picture of you thinking, "That's so weird that she looks exactly the same in 1991 as she does now." Then I understood. You took a nowadays picture with old glasses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad to know that I am not the only person whose has kept each pair of glasses. P.S. Adams Family Groove rocked.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad, I kept that last "whose" comment Anonymous. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha...Caroline. I'm sorry it wasn't more obvious.

    Anonymous: do you ever feel like you should donate all your old glasses to a charity that gives them to people in developing countries? I do. But I'm not that good of a person. And I need stuff to fill that museum. I'm sure you feel the same way. Ha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always feel guilty when I see the boxes for glasses for the poor. But then I figure that I would feel more guilty for someone else getting stuck with my nearly broken but still usable specs.

    ReplyDelete