Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Today We Went To Mexico - July 5th 1992

Day: July 5th 1992 Sun.  Date:   


On Friday we didn't go to the summer camp. What we did on Friday was packing. We left in the afternoon for Tucson. We stayed in a hotel called Best Western's Inn Suites. The pool was grosse! It gave us free breakfast. We played tennis last night and lost two balls. We had to pay for them. But we didn't. Our dad bought a new can and gave them two and we kept 1. Then today we went to Mexico. You have to know how to bargin or your going to loose all your money. I bought a bracelet and a pair of earrings for mom. One of the earrings has a piece of the blue stuff missing. We just looked mostly in Mexico. It's funny in a way. The store owners kept lowering down the prices even if we were just looking at it. When we left the store they keept lowering the price. It was funny.


Tonight mom called. She asked what we did over the weekend. I told her. I also told her about the earring, the store keepers, how poor people are there, and stuff about how many paco's are equal to a dollar. She told us the all the Childrens Palaces allover Independence and Kansas City were going out of business. We talked about some other things too. But I won't write everything in. She said that she hasn't gotten the past 2 postcards I've sent. That seemed strange to me. 


She told me that there were two big storms. Yesterday and today. I told her it was dry out here. Well I could write on and on but I won't. Oh yah, one thing. I lost a tooth! I'm done. I miss mom I want to come home. I better stop now. I'll write more tomorrow.


Audra S age 10 going into 6th grade


As much as I hated visiting my father, it's obvious that I got something out of the trips. This time I got to experience the luxury of a Best Western in Tucson, engaged in some creative problem solving (the lost tennis balls), was exposed to Mexico and its culture, and learned about bargaining and currency exchange. That's a pretty enriching weekend.

No clue if my mom still has the earrings, but I still have the bracelet. It didn't age very well. Maybe it just needs a good polishing?



Children's Palace was a chain of toy stores.

Understatement of the summer: "I told her it was dry out here."

Raise your hand if you think my father did the tooth fairy thing for me?

No comments:

Post a Comment